RĂ©pondre au sujet  [ 93 message(s) ]  Aller vers la page PrĂ©cĂ©dent  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Suivant

Le fuseau horaire est UTC+8 heures [Heure d’étĂ©]

Auteur Message
  Re: Pourquoi vous acceptez les contraintes de la vie en Aust
Message PubliĂ© : 27 Jan 2005 02:57 
FranceDownUnder Addict
FranceDownUnder Addict
Hors-ligne
Message(s) : 172
[quote="ArnaultLes interventions de Carine sont interessantes, cela change des blagues sur les blondes, les questions milles fois posees....[/quote]

Un jour Carine m'a épaté en écrivant, et je cite:

"Je compare cela à mon expérience, j'ai grandi dans un village du Brabant wallon, à 16 ans, j'ai poursuivi mes études sur Bruxelles et à ce moment j'ai senti un véritable épanouissement. Je me suis rendue compte que je m'était entérée dans une ambiance trÚs fermée dans ce village du Brabant Wallon. (Etait-ce le village ou mes parents?) Bruxelles m'a épanoui et je compare Sydney un peu comme Bruxelles dans ce sens."

Toute sa vie est lĂ  dedans. Elle le sait mais n'en est pas convaincue.
Besoin de s'extérioriser, de contact avec un autre monde, c'est ce que les gens de notre espÚce ont besoin. Que diable si c'est pire ou meilleur.
Juste un peu de différence, mais au soleil, c'est encore mieux...

Et ..... Oups !
Message PubliĂ© : 27 Jan 2005 04:37 
FranceDownUnder Addict
FranceDownUnder Addict
Hors-ligne
Message(s) : 173
Et oups, ça devient psy :)

A tout cas, merci de prendre ma défense.

Et, dommage que le sujet dévie de temps en temps.

Je profite de cet entracte pour dire au combien je suis déçue de ne pas lire des tĂ©moignages en Oz du mĂȘme genre que les 2 exemples ci-dessus. (mon prĂ©cĂ©dent poste) C'est tellement vivant, sa transpire le vrai, le comment se passe la vie lĂ  bas. J'ai espĂ©rĂ© pendant longtemps lire tes tĂ©moignages semblables, mais en vain. Devrais-je comprendre que la vie en Oz est de loin de ce que j'ai pu dĂ©couvrir lors de mes quelques escapades touristiques, qu'aprĂšs les annĂ©es, ça devient un peu plus distant, plus sĂ©rieux et fini les "Ă©clats de rires entres" copains, on ne se fait pas de vĂ©ritables expĂ©riences d'intĂ©gration, que les gens ne sont pas aussi respectueux des uns des autres, une impression de surface mais pas de profondeur dans les relations.

Mais bon dieu, pourquoi en Oz on ne parle pas de Oz comme tout ceux qui sont en Nz parlent de Nz ????

DerniÚre édition par Carine le 01 Fév 2005 04:27, édité 1 fois.

Message PubliĂ© : 27 Jan 2005 05:40 
FranceDownUnder Expert
FranceDownUnder Expert
Hors-ligne
Message(s) : 450
Salut Carine,
tiens lis ca, ca vient dici: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/articl...-967265,00.html

Exodus from Oz — it's grim down under
Germaine Greer loves her Australian homeland but, she says, like many of her compatriots she can't bear to live there

English people think of Australia as a land of beaches and winter sunshine where in a cold and stormy month like this it must be heaven to live. Yet every month brings news of another Australian celebrity who has decamped (Nicole Kidman, Kylie Minogue, Baz Luhrmann to name but a few). The international movie industry is illuminated by Australian stars, none of whom lives in Australia — unless you count the New Zealander Russell Crowe, who pretends to live in Australia.
Australian professionals of all kinds are popping up at the top of their trees in other countries; they are vice-chancellors of British universities, media executives, account managers, scientists, surgeons, lawyers, dons, willingly enduring the manifold discomforts of life in Britain when they could enjoy the lifestyle on which Australia prides itself.

This year 1m Australians out of a population of 20m are living outside Australia. Many Europeans who have given the best years of their lives to Australia have decided to cut their losses and return to the other side of the world. Go to Greece and you’ll be astonished at how many Greeks speak fluent idiomatic Australian. So why do so many abandon the “you beaut” country? What can be the problem?

I can best explain from my own point of view, as someone who left Australia in 1964, never to return. (Here goes my chance of an Order of Australia.) In fact I do return. I probably spend more time in Australia than Crowe does, but I always come back to Blighty.

Make no mistake. I love Australia with a fierce passion that churns my guts and makes my eyes burn with tears of rage and frustration. But I would rather not be there.

For the vast majority, life in Australia is neither urban nor rural but suburban. The reality is not Uluru or the Sydney Opera House but endless, ever-expanding replications of Ramsay Street that spread out as rapidly as oilstains on water, further and further from the tiny central business districts of the state capitals.

Each street has a “nature strip”; each bungalow faces the same way, has a backyard and a front garden, all fenced, low at the front, high at the back. Somewhere nearby there’ll be a shopping centre with fast-food outlets and a supermarket.

If your ambition is to live on Ramsay Street, where nobody has ever been heard to discuss a book or a movie let alone an international event, then Australia may be the place for you. But you need to remember that Australians don’t live in each other’s pockets; Neighbours is a fiction. Most Australians don’t know their next-door neighbours or care what becomes of them. Australians are kind but in a thoroughly British, non-committal kind of way.

It’s different in the countryside — but nobody lives there except a few squatters and graziers, flitting hordes of British backpackers and some remnant populations of Aborigines. Aborigines could teach other Australians how to make living in Oz emotionally and intellectually satisfying, but nobody is going to give them the chance.

Marooned in oceanic tracts of suburban doldrums, the downtown central business districts don’t expand at all. They still occupy the same tiny nucleus of streets that they did 100 years ago; indeed the Sydney commercial district has actually shrunk in the past 40 years. Australians might refer to rush hour, but there is never any rush. Even at 11am on a weekday you’ll feel no bustle. In what should be the swankiest streets you will find shops with designer names and nothing in them alongside pawnshops and outlets for cheap imports, T-shirts, jeans and plastic homewares.

In the big emporiums the floors are jammed with overloaded clothes racks as if they were discount stores, but the prices in Australian dollars are huge. Australian wages, on the other hand, are surprisingly low. Many Australian expatriates (and I would include myself) live in Britain partly because they couldn’t earn a decent living in Australia. A British salary will buy a ticket to Australia sooner than an Australian salary for the same job will finance travel to Europe. Australian food prices are low, but just about everything else is, for many, unaffordable.

The Australian economy is growing, we are told, faster than almost any other. Growth understood as a percentage is related to the initial size of the economy and Australia’s remains tiny, even though it is the world’s largest exporter of coal, iron ore, beef and wool. Coal and iron ore are both obtained by massively mechanised open-cut mining with devastating environmental consequences. The Australian rush to self-destruction is a bewildering phenomenon.

Why does Australia destroy a greater percentage of its forest each year than all but two other countries on earth? In a mere 200 years one of the most biodiverse systems in the world has been utterly compromised, and for what? Nobody is costing the degradation of fragile ecosystems by grazing or by irrigation for rice and cotton, crops that could never earn their keep unless the Australian dollar remained artificially low.

As a primary producer, Australia, with high labour costs, is in competition with the poorest nations in the world but we look in vain for any expansion in the manufacturing sector. Most of the manufactured goods on sale anywhere in Australia were made somewhere in Asia, including “Australia’s own car”, the Holden. The one and only Australian software millionaire has gone on record saying that if Australians take a lead in the IT revolution the myth of Australian prosperity will explode, while the very people who could do it are walking away.

I was 12 years old when I decided that I had to get out of Australia if my life was to begin. I had been bored ever since I could remember. I was ungainly and I was bored by sport, which in Australia is a sure sign that you’re a bad person. In the 13 years that followed before I could actually get away, I managed to get mildly interested in long-distance skiing, mainly as a way to see the alpine country.

The other great Australian passion is relaxation, and I was even less interested in that. For me to be as good as I could be I needed the pressure of competition, the intellectual cut and thrust, so I came to Cambridge (where, needless to say, I didn’t find it, but that’s another story).

The real reason I won’t live in Australia, even when Britain has no further use for my services, is that I love the country too much. The pain of watching its relentless dilapidation by people too relaxed to give a damn is more than I can bear. I don’t know how many of my fellow expatriates feel this way, but I’ll bet some do.

Message PubliĂ© : 27 Jan 2005 05:45 
FranceDownUnder Expert
FranceDownUnder Expert
Hors-ligne
Message(s) : 410
Pour avoir voyager Ă  deux reprises en Australie pendant de longues pĂ©riodes je me permets de mettre mon petit grain de sel dans ce dĂ©bat.....parlons d 'abord des expatriĂ©s....la plupart sont envoyĂ©s ici par de grosses entreprises pour des missions de moyennes ou longues durĂ©es...ils bĂ©nĂ©ficient de conditions trĂšs avantageuses qui leur permettent de profiter au maximum de leur vie ici...salaires mirobolants,logements luxueux,voitures grand luxe....ceux lĂ  voient tout en rose,parlent de l' Australie comme d' une terre promise....ils frĂ©quentent des Australiens high class, friquĂ©s, qui peuvent se permettre de dĂ©penser, d'acheter de gros 4x4 luxueux,des maisons spacieuses, des planches de surf high tech (mĂȘme s'ils ne savent pas s'en servir),de voyager a l'autre bout du pays , voir en Asie et en Europe....... quand on gratte un peu tout cela on s' aperçoit que les choses ne sont pas aussi idylliques que certain sur ce site voudraient nous faire croire....l'Australien moyen travaille dur,tres dur pour un salaire trĂšs juste.....certes il a une maison avec un bbq....mais il vit dans un trou ou tout est loin de tout ...Ă  moins d' avoir de l'argent il restera dans son trou pour la vie , sans mĂȘme connaitre l'autre bout de son pays , trop loin , si loin, ....il mettera des t shirts Ă  manches longues toute sa vie quand il ira Ă  la plage........il mangera des hamburger frites en buvant du coca toute sa vie et finira obĂšse.....il boira des biĂšres au goulot en regardant des matchs de cricket qui durent des jours Ă  la tĂ©lĂ©......il partira en vacances dans des campings bondĂ©s Ă  200 klms de chez lui avec son gros 4x4 tirant une remorque dans laquelle on aperçoit pĂȘle mĂȘle BBQ Ă©norme , frigidaire, vĂ©los (qui ne sortiront pas du camping) cannes Ă  pĂȘche,packs de biĂšre, et ira Ă  la pĂȘche aux crabes tout les jours qu'il pleuve ou qu'il vente.....il racontera ĂȘtre parti Ă  l'aventure sur des pistes dans le "bush" mais n'osera pas sortir de son 4x4 Ă  air conditionnĂ© qui fait sa fiertĂ© de peur d'ĂȘtre assailli de milliers de mouches......plus chauvin et nationaliste que lui n'existe pas......un nationalisme qui a tendance Ă  le rendre raciste envers de nombreuses minoritĂ©s.....il supportera Hewitt ( mister C'mon) mais dĂ©nigrera Philipoussis Ă  cause de ses origines greques...sans parler de la question aborigĂšne....vous savez , les aborigĂšnes , ceux qui Ă©taient lĂ  avant ...au dĂšbut.....avant l 'arrivĂ©e des bagnards et des militaires anglais....il se dĂ©lectera de la mort des kangourous, ces sales animaux qui pullulent et qui dĂ©rangent les fermiers ( vous savez les kangourous , ceux qui Ă©taient lĂ  avant, comme les arborigĂšnes)..... il nous cassera les c******* avec ses "winery" par ci et "winery " par lĂ  ( quel bel alibi culturel !).....
désolé pour la caricature trés exagérée et provocante......mais il faut parfois dire certaine choses qui fùchent pour ne pas rester un béni oui oui qui toute sa vie dira " L'Australie est un paradis sur terre, tout y est parfais...etc etc..."......je pourrai écrire des choses bien plus agréables sur l'Australie car j'y est passé des moments délicieux.....mais les commentaires et les réactions de certains face à la lettre de Carine me pousse à vouloir montrer que partout sur terre il y a à prendre et à laisser, que tout n'est pas si tranché.....
Beaucoup d'australiens , une grande majoritĂ©, rĂȘvent d'Europe , parfois en silence mais ils en rĂȘvent........ne l'oublions pas....
Beaucoup d 'Australiens rĂȘvent d'Europe....quelle belle leçon

Message PubliĂ© : 27 Jan 2005 06:20 
FranceDownUnder Expert
FranceDownUnder Expert
Hors-ligne
Ta vision des choses est "un peu" stereotypee mais c'est vrai, il ya de ca!

Je rajouterais juste qu'il est tres interessant d'aller sur le site des expats anglais et d'y prendre la temperature. C'est riche d'enseignement de constater le changement de ton entre les candidats a l'emigration et ceux deja installes...
Le forum est plein de personnes qui tueraient peres et meres pour partir, persuades que l'Australie est l'Eden. Ces intervenants la sont encore dans leurs pays d'origine. Puis il y a les autres qui sont en Australie depuis plus d'un an...leurs discours sont plus nuances: une fois que la magie de la plage et des palmiers est partie, il reste un pays vide, peu de culture, les banlieues qui s'etirent a perte de vue, des opportunites pro et des salaires pas terribles, des prestations sociales moyennes, des difficultes d'integration, la famille et amis qui manquent...
Puis il y a la rubrique "Moving Back " ou la, on a des intervenants qui disent qu'ils n'en peuvent plus et qu'ils veulent rentrer, qu'il n'y a rien a faire en Australie.
Bien sur chacun a son experience, je suis sur que parallelement a ces discours beaucoup ont aussi fait leurs trou.
Donc voila, plus que jamais l'Australie est une affaire personnelle. Moi perso, je voudrais pouvoir rester a Sydney de facon permanente mais je ne suis pas du tout sur par exemple que j'aurais envie d'aller m'enterrer a Brisbane...

Message PubliĂ© : 27 Jan 2005 06:40 
Fair Dinkum Mate
Fair Dinkum Mate
Hors-ligne
Message(s) : 63
The grass is always greener on the other side!
Je suis Francaise habitant a Londres (presque 8 ans maintenant).
J'ai quittée la France, tres decue.
A Londres, nous gagnons plus d'argent mais nous habitons dans un petit apart avec 1 chambre (nous avons aussi une fille de 4 ans), avec des voisins (bruyants). Nous avons l'impression de vivre dans une cage a poule. La vie sociale Anglaise se passe au pub, avec un toddler, ca limite.
L'Australie n'est pas parfaite? La France et l'Angleterre non plus!
Chacun voit midi a sa porte. Nous manquerons certainement l'Europe, sa culture et sa diversité. Mais a present, nous voulons de l'espace et une qualite de vie que nous n'avons certainement pas ici.
Et je prefere voir ma fille grandir dans les collines de Perth que dans les rues de Londres.
C'est un sujet que l'on pourrait debattre en vain, l'envie de vivre quelque part est tres personelle, tout depend de ce que l'on recherche dans la vie.
Il y a toujours un cote positif a chaque situation (ou pays) :D

Re: Pourquoi vous acceptez les contraintes de la vie en Aust
Message PubliĂ© : 27 Jan 2005 06:45 
FranceDownUnder Addict
FranceDownUnder Addict
Hors-ligne
[quote="Arnault]

J'en sais quelque chose, j'habite a Toronto, cette ville, d'apres les statistiques, est censee etre le paradis des expats (#1) et une des meilleures villes au monde pour la qualite de vie. Pourtant je m'y emmerde comme un rat mort.

[/quote]

By tbe way Arnault, quel temps fait il Ă  Toronto ?
J'imagine des tempĂ©ratures nĂ©gatives mais peut ĂȘtre que la rĂ©alitĂ© en est autre.
Si j'ai raison, en quoi consiste une journée sous ces climats ?
Merci.

Message PubliĂ© : 27 Jan 2005 23:17 
FranceDownUnder Expert
FranceDownUnder Expert
Hors-ligne
Salut JP!

Mis a part que l'on s'est tape un mega blizard le week end dernier: neige pendant 24 heures et temperatures aux environs de -15, le froid est beaucoup facile a supporter que j'aurais pu le penser...
J'etais cense partir en Australie mais une erreur d'aiguillage m'a envoye au Canada. J'etais avant cela un parisien.
Les mois les plus froids sont Janvier et Fevrier: la temperature moyenne est de - 4 mais cela ne veut rien quand on sait que l'on peut avoir 15 degres certains jours (12 degres il y a 2 semaines pendant 2 jours). Comme il n'y a pas de reliefs ou je suis, nous sommes exposes a tous les changements climatiques: Un jour le gulf stream qui tourne sur les Caraibes, un autre des vents du Nord.
Le froid est tout a fait supportable, nous avons du soleil tous les jours mais surtout ce froid est sec: une fois habille chaudement, tu es isole, tu es tranquille. Franchemement, j'ai plus froid a Paris avec 3 degres (humide) qu'a Toronto avec - 6 (sec). Ca fait une sacre difference!
Donc les journees sont assez standards, personne ne se planque chez lui ou reste terre dans ces "fameuses" villes souterraines qui n'ont en fait rien a envier aux galeries commerciales que l'on trouve dans le metro parisien...c'est un peu un mythe.
Les etes sont tres chauds (mi Juin-mi spetembre) et tres humides. On tape regulierement les 33-35 degres. Sinon, les intersaisons sont semblables a Paris.
J'ai decouvert au Canada les saisons marquees, j'avoue que j'aime bien: c;est sympa de voir les premieres neiges puis c'est sympa d'avoir les premiers beaux jours. J'ai quelques amis en Floride, eux pleurent le manque de saisons. D'apres eux soleil et chaleur tous les jours, c'est penible et deprimant. Enfin ca, ca me laisse quand meme perplexe...

Re: Et ..... Oups !
Message PubliĂ© : 28 Jan 2005 00:36 
FranceDownUnder Expert
FranceDownUnder Expert
Hors-ligne
Message(s) : 367
Carine a Ă©crit :
Et oups, ça devient psy :)

Mais bon dieu, pourquoi en Oz on ne parle pas de Oz comme tout ceux qui sont en Nz parlent de Nz ????

D'accord avec toi... je me suis fait exactement la mĂȘme reflexion en allant voir le sujet originel. J'avais vraiment l'impression de voir deux planĂštes diffĂ©rentes :shock: Quelqu'un aurait-il une explication? L'air est diffĂ©rent?? A croire que ceux qui sont partis en NZ Ă©taient vraiment passionnĂ©s et le restent alors que ceux qui sont en Australie sont blasĂ©s et sont peut-ĂȘtre partis seulement vers un utopique eldorado, juste pour le rĂȘve et non pour la rĂ©alitĂ© ??!!??

Message PubliĂ© : 29 Jan 2005 13:58 
Fair Dinkum Mate
Fair Dinkum Mate
Hors-ligne
Message(s) : 54
Firstly my apologies to my partner for using his account . . . (who’s views are not quite the same as mine). I have been observing these forums for a few weeks with everything ranging from interest, to amusement to outrage. What seems to me to be lacking, is the viewpoint of an Australian, so I have decided to put in my two cents worth. Although I read and speak French fluently, I don’t have much occasion to write it, so I won’t inflict my appalling spelling and grammar upon you 

Before I begin, I should say that I love France and French culture and people – if my situation were different, I would have no objection to living there (I might even prefer it . . .. ) I lived for one year in France ten years ago, and have visited many times since, staying each time with family and friends of my (French, of course) partner. In Australia, most of my social circle consists of French expatriates, and I love their company, and the contrast they offer to the Australian way of life. Having said that, I am also proud of my own culture, and get on equally well with fellow Australians. I say this, because I want you to understand that what follows comes from an unbiased point of view (as much as that is possible).

When I arrived in France, with the intention of staying, the first thing I did was to go out and buy (and read) many books on French history, culture, politics etc. Secondly, I bought books on the history and culture of the region where I was living. I spent most of my year in France studying and absorbing myself in the French way of life – I never spoke English, picked up English literature, or sought English-speaking company. I make this point because, even so, I could never say that I know what it is like to live in France, because I haven’t lived in all of France; I can’t even say I know what it is like to live in one little part of France: what I can say, is that I know what it is like for one Australian to live in one little region of France. I will never know what it is like in the same way that you do, because I am NOT French, and therefore can never have the same experience as a native. Nor would I feel qualified to make generalized descriptions of the French people, based on the .000000x percent of the population I met. To draw generalizations based only on my own experience would be ludicrous – I hope you understand the point I am making. I think that many people coming to Australia think that because we are of European heritage, the culture will be similar - culture is not genetic: it is the result of the accumulation of diverse social and geographical influences; to think that Australian culture would have similarities to European culture is no more ridiculous than expecting the same in Asia, and therein lies a lot of the misunderstanding, I think.

While some of the critiques of Australia I have read in the forums are undoubtedly (and unfortunately) true – just as many are outrageously ill-informed. Except for one case, I have not seen anyone back up their claims with hard evidence – it is pure speculation, based only on personal experience. Therefore, for those who are interested, what follows in the next post is my own rebuttal, and sometimes agreement, based mostly on OECD international surveys and statistics (I can provide individual sources if required). This is really long, but read on if you are interested, you might be surprised, and will certainly be armed with lots of figures for future arguments! But remember, statistics are only as good as the way they are interpreted – I’ll leave that up to you.

Message PubliĂ© : 29 Jan 2005 14:03 
Fair Dinkum Mate
Fair Dinkum Mate
Hors-ligne
1.Pro-American sentiment in Australia: this one comes from my own point of view. Frankly, I think that the hundreds of thousands of Australians who marched in protest at the invasion of Iraq would find this insulting, as would the same numbers who wrote to the government in protest at the World Trade Agreement (the number of e-mails crashing government systems), likewise the 42% of the population who voted NO to Iraq in a national survey. As I’m sure you are all aware – democracy is a myth. As for the “americanisation” of Australia – well, we all know that American imperialism is alive and well in first world countries, and Australia is no exception. However, as an example, I would like one of you to tune in to the French channel MCM and tell me what percentage of the songs are of French origin, and of that percentage, how many have anything distinctly French about them, aside from the language they are sung in. Unfortunately, youth culture worldwide has become American culture, and we can only hope that, based on the high proportion of youth involved in the above-mentioned protests, that this situation might one day change.

2. Australians are Politically Apathetic: FALSE 16% of Australians discuss politics frequently, compared to 12% in France, 56% are very or moderately interested, compared to 38%, and 50% consider politics to be very important as opposed to 33% in France. 79% of Australians have signed a petition (54% in France), 22% have joined a boycott (13% in France) . However, only 18% have attended a demonstration, compar4d to 33% in France.

3. Australia is Environmentally ‘Unfriendly” TRUE & FALSE
The ecological footprint (based on land area needed to meet demands of consumption of resources and waste, measured in global hectares): Australia 7.6, France 5.3 (less). Worst is USA at 9.7 (no surprise) and best is Italy at 3.8. Australians generate an average of 400kg of waster per person per year, compared to 360 in France. 47% of glass and paper is recycled in Australia, 50% in France. Australia produced three times as much Greenhouse gas emissions as France and 2.5 times as much carbon dioxide. Australia spends .8% of its GDP on pollution control, France 1.4%. based on 1990s surveys, 69% of Australians were willing to pay more taxes for environmental protection compared to 54% in France.

4. Australians are Unhealthy/Obese: TRUE
Australians smoke less (1349 grams tobacco per year, compared to 1912 in France), drink more beer (89litre per year compared to 41) but less wine (21 litres per year compared to 47). Australians drink 2.6 litres per year of spirits and flavoured alchoholic drinks compared to 7.5 litres in France. Overall, Australians on average consume 9.8 litres of alchohol a year compared to 12.9 litres in France (highest in the world). Norwegians drink the least (5.6 litres). 22% of Australian women are obese, and a further 31% overweight (almost doubled since 1980) compared to France 9% and 20% (I think that is fairly obvious if you take a look around . . ). 19% of Australian males are obese, and 48% overweight, compared to France 9% and 34%. Life expectancy is much the same in both countries, however men live a few years longer in Australia.

5.Australians are Racist: FALSE
Australia spends .27% of its gross national income on foreign aid, France .32%. The Scandinavian countries spend the most (between .8 and 1.1). Between 1990 and 1999 Australia accepted 112 000 refugees, lower than France’s 130 000, but considerably more significant if taken as a total percentage of the population, representing 582 per 100 000 as compared to 221 in France. Australia’s net intake of immigrants 1950-2000 represents 23.1% of the year 2000 population as opposed to 7.9% for France. In 2000, Australia’s foreign population was 23.6%, France 5.6%. If we are as racist as we are claimed to be, there must be an awful lot of unhappy immigrants in Australia. Also, 5% of Australians surveyed listed immigrants as undesirable neighbors compared to 13% in France. Twice as many French people listed people of a different race as undesirable as a neighbor. 45% of Australians thought that in times of high unemployment, nationals should have preference for job positions, compared to 63% of French people.

6.Australia is a Safer Place to Live: FALSE
Australia has fewer deaths in motor accidents, but more murders, and more people in prison. The latter may be due to the fact that 3.6% of the Aust. Population uses amphetamines and 17.9% use marijuana as opposed to 0.3% and 4.7% respectively in France.
Motor Vehicle Deaths per 100 000: Aust 10 (down from 24 in 1980), France 13.7 (down from 20 in 1980)
Prisoners per 100 000: Aust 110, France 80
Homicides per 100 000: Aust 1.5, France 0.7
Crimes per 100 000: Aust 6.5, France 6.2
Victims of Crime: Aust 28.6, France 19.4

7.Australia is a Cheaper Place to Live: FALSE
69% of Australians own their own homes compared to 54% in France, but when you compare this to debt levels, the picture is not quite so rosy with Australian household debt to income ratio being 125% (ie we spend more than we earn). In France this ratio is 76%. Accordingly, Australians only save 3.8% of income as compared to 15.8% in France. We also build bigger houses, with 70% having 5 or more rooms, compared to 36% in France. In Australia, 19% of spending on health is “out of pocket” compared to 10% in France. Australians pay 1% of their income towards health funding, 2% for incomes over $100 000. Full cover private insurance (private hospital, dental, physio, etc) will cost around $50 per week for the entire family (regardless of number of children). A visit to the doctor cost around $22 after reimbursement by Medicare. An average prescription (eg antibiotics) costs around $20

8.Australia is a Happier Place to Live: NEITHER (subjectively)
Based on the World Values Survey:
Happiness: (% responding “very happy”)
Australia 43%, France 25%
Life Satisfaction: Aust 7.67, France 6.29 (score out of 10)
Denmark the highest at 8.2
Financial Satisfaction: Aust 6.4, France 5.9. Switzerland the highest at 7.8

I hardly think the slight differences between the two countries is worth commenting on, is it? Interestingly, in 1990s surveys, 70% of Australians were very proud of their country compared to only 35% of French.

9.Australia is Less Crowded:
Australia’s largest city has 2.1 people per square mile, compared to 53.3 in Paris. 91% of Australians live in urban areas compared to 75% in France.

10. Australians earn/work less/more (depends who you listen to):
Australians work an average of 1855 hours per year, compared to 1590 in France. 48.6% of Australians work more than 40 hrs per week, compared to 21.4% in France. France has one more public holiday, and five days more annual leave. Australia’s unemployment rate is 6.6% compared to France 9.3%, however nearly twice as many youth are unemployed in France. In Australia, unemployment is fairly equal between nationals and immigrants, however in France, twice as many immigrants are unemployed as nationals (I’m sure this comes as no surprise). The per capita average income in Australia is 24 000 international dollars, France 19 600

11. Australians are taxed less/more (as above):
The Australian government takes 31.5% of GDP in taxes, France 45.6%

12. Social Security is Less in Australia: True Supplementary income for families: A single income Australian with 2 children gets 10% more than someone with no children. In France, it is 12.6%. Child support packages earn an extra 6.7% for Australians, and 10.9% in France. As you know, however, we have no maternity leave in Australia (except in government jobs) and two income families earning more than 65 000 a year receive no family benefits. Australia spends 8.3% of its GDP on social security compared 18.2% in France, so while the allowances are less, the benefits are in taxation.

13.Education is Dearer in Australia: UNSURE
59% of Australians go on to university compared to 37% in France, and a higher percentage graduate. The difference in teachers’ salaries between the two coutries is negligible. The Aust government spends 1.6% of GDP on tertiary education compared to 1.1% in France. I can’t find comparisons for the cost of education, but personally, I know that the cost of a university arts degree in Australia is about $15 000, more for degrees such as medicine and law. This can be paid upfront, or deferred until the graduate earns more than $30 000 a year, after which time it is repaid at 1.5% of the annual income, interest indexed to match with inflation. The cost public schooling (primary and secondary) is negligible – uniforms and text books only, however private schools cost between $3000 and $6000 as year. Personally, I am undecided as to whether the standard of education in private schools is better or not.

Message PubliĂ© : 29 Jan 2005 20:02 
FranceDownUnder Addict
FranceDownUnder Addict
Hors-ligne
[quote="Arnault"]Salut JP!

Le froid est tout a fait supportable, nous avons du soleil tous les jours mais surtout ce froid est sec: une fois habille chaudement, tu es isole, tu es tranquille. quote]

Oui, ce sont ces villes souterraines qui m'intriguaient...J'avais imaginé un milieu futuriste des plus enviables.
Sous peu, on en aura sur la lune j'en suis sûr...
Finalement, rien de plus sympa qu'un peu de vrai soleil...puisqu'en fait il y en a, a prori, plus que chez moi...

Message PubliĂ© : 30 Jan 2005 20:00 
New Mate
New Mate
Hors-ligne
Message(s) : 8
G'day!

Sur les statistiques de l'insecurité donné par Gill j'ai certains doutes, mefiance avec les stats!
Ayant vécu à Sydney, je prefere prendre le train de Sydney jusqu'à Katoomba la nuit, que le RER de Paris à Sarcelles ou Sartrouville.
Etant un utilisateur du RER, je sais ce que c'est!
Et sans parler d'insecurité les rixes ou bousculades entre voyageurs sont légions en ile de France et la gentilesse parisienne est reconnue!!!
je plaisante... les gens sont toujours désagréables, et meme que si on adresse la parole à inconnu dans les transports on passe pour un fou, franchement voilà ce qui me donne la nostalgie de mon année passée dowunder avec mon WHV.
Sans parlé des gens qui vous passent devant, qui ne vous laisse pas descendre des rames de train... bref bonjour le civisme français!
En gros celĂ  est suffisant pour changer la vie au quotidien!
Autre chose à Vancouver au Canada si vous prenez le train, il n'y a pas de barriÚres et tout le monde payent! mentalité anglo-saxonne quoi...
bon A+
Serge

RĂ©ponse Ă  Gil's partner... what's your name by the way?
Message PubliĂ© : 01 FĂ©v 2005 06:01 
FranceDownUnder Expert
FranceDownUnder Expert
Hors-ligne
Message(s) : 665
Hello,

j'ai a-do-ré ta réponse et tes commentaires par rapport à ce post. Je dois dire que je suis souvent outrée, pissed off par les critiques. Oui c'est vrai chaque pays a ses qualités, ses défauts mais quand on choisit de vivre en Australie, c'est généralement en connaissance de cause.
Si je devais rester en France, j'en prendrai mon parti, mais aller vivre en Australie, c'est accepter aussi les vicissitudes d'un rĂȘve, car Ă  moins d'ĂȘtre Candide, il n'y a pas d'Eldorado!
Je suis une optimiste dans l'Ăąme, les gens sont ce qu'ils sont (sauf, dĂ©solĂ©e, les AmĂ©ricains que je ne peux pas supporter, mais lĂ  encore, c'est gĂ©nĂ©raliser!), mais je trouve quand mĂȘme que les Français ont un bien plus gros nombril que les autres...
Les Australiens que j'ai connu pendant 1 an et demi étaient plutÎt sympas, de tout ùges, origines et milieu culturel : les discussions étaient intéressantes, diversifiées et animées, je ne vois pas pourquoi cela aurait changé.
Le taux de chomage devrait ĂȘtre un exemple pour d'autres pays.
La solidarité envers les pays voisins touchés par le tsunami exemplaire aussi.
Le problÚme de l'Irak est différent car c'est le gouvernement et non pas les Australiens dans leur majorité qui ont envoyé les troupes au front!
Et pour tout ce qui est social, éducation, patati, patata, ce qui est bizarre c'est que la France puisse se permettre encore de faire ce qu'elle fait.... les allocs, les machins, les trucs, à un moment ou à un autre le systÚme va flancher, avec la population qui se développe, vieillit, ne trouve plus d'emploi, qui donc paye au départ?

Alors on me dit qu'il faut penser Ă  l'avenir, la retraite, mais aujourd'hui, dans le contexte Ă©conomique que faire, y-a-t-il beaucoup de trentenaires qui peuvent dire Ă  quel Ăąge ils seront en retraite ? De toute façons les retraites seront de 6 francs 6 sous. Va falloir penser Ă  dĂ©valiser les banques (je vais commencer par des superettes...). Donc, autant ĂȘtre en Australie, au moins, y'a pas le chauffage Ă  payer. Je plaisante mais je ne peux mĂȘme pas penser Ă  la retraite... pas parce que le travail c'est la santĂ© (pas du tout mon style) mais plutot parce que ce sera un problĂšme d'argent : on en revient au braquage des superettes. Je m'appelerais Kelly Ned (vu que je suis une fille) mais on ne me pendra pas haut et court!!!!

Allez trĂšve de conneries : si il y en a qui ne sont pas contents de leur sort en Australie, qu'ils retournent de la oĂč ils viennent. Que ce qui n'y sont pas se taisent car c'est de la jalousie. Et pour tout ceux pour qui le verbe critiquer donne des boutons, hip hip hip hourra. C'est fatiguant d'entendre les gens critiquer tout et tout le temps. Et ça (l'absence de critiques systĂ©matiques) c'est vraiment rafraichissant Ă  Sydney!

:lol:

Message PubliĂ© : 01 FĂ©v 2005 11:12 
Fair Dinkum Mate
Fair Dinkum Mate
Hors-ligne
Bonjour et excusez moi – j’étais si plongĂ©e dans ma rĂ©ponse que j’ai oubliĂ© de me prĂ©senter. Je m’appelle Donna. J’ai bien apprĂ©ciĂ© votre rĂ©ponse : mon mari m’a dit que j’allais me faire incendiĂ© mais, dans mon expĂ©rience, les français sont plus raisonnables que ça ! :wink:

J’ai habitais dans un petit village dans les PyrĂ©nĂ©es (VallĂ©e d’Ossau) pendant 1 an et je suis tombĂ©e amoureuse de la montagne, qui m’appelle toujours. J’ai mĂȘme rencontrĂ© l’ours, face a face, et ça ma touchĂ© beaucoup (je ne sais pas qui a Ă©tĂ© la plus surpris - je pense bien que j’étais la premiĂšre Australienne qu’il a rencontrĂ©) :shock:

Je me suis plongĂ©e dans la patrimoine de la rĂ©gion, en lisant des histoires, des contes etc. mais il faut dire que c’était trĂšs dur, mĂȘme impossible, de faire partie de la communautĂ© – j’étais toujours «l’étranger » Presque personne me disait bonjour et, en sachant que je ne parlais pas bien le français, ils ont fait des blagues, des jeux de mots etc. Je ne dis pas ça pour critiquer les français, parce que je pense que c’est un peu la nature humaine, mais pour dire que je n’ai pas ruminĂ© sur des choses nĂ©gatives : j’ai cherche des bons aspects, et il n'a pas Ă©tĂ© si difficile d’en trouver ! Bon, il y avait des choses que je ne comprenais pas : les maniĂšres, la façon de s’exprimer, de parler, de rĂ©agir – mais c’est normale : je ne suis pas Française :(

Donc, au lieu de dire « ils ne sont pas comme moi » j’ai essayĂ© de m’adapter. C’est ce qu’on fait dans n’importe quelle relation : on essaye d’accepter ce qu’on aime pas trop, on concentre sur et apprĂ©cie les bons aspects et, surtout, on essaye de comprendre. En continuant avec cette mĂ©taphore, quand on prend un nouvel amant, on ne le compare pas avec l’ancien, n’est ce pas ? On est trop content avec les nouvelles possibilitĂ©s ! :wink:

Et surtout, on dit pas que « les hommes sont tous les mĂȘmes» ; bon, en vĂ©ritĂ© je le dis pars fois, mais il ne s’agit pas de cela. :lol:

Je veut dire seulement que, heureusement, on est tous diffĂ©rents, les gens tout comme les pays – profitez en :!:

Afficher les messages publiĂ©s depuis :  Trier par  
RĂ©pondre au sujet  [ 93 message(s) ]  Aller vers la page PrĂ©cĂ©dent  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Suivant